Sunday, April 24, 2011

Nunzio's Pizzeria


I was driving through the area on my way to go see a friend. Since this is not a regular route for me, I figured I'd try Nunzio's Pizzeria on my way over there.

From a citywide perspective, these slightly out of the way or relative unknowns can yield some pretty good results. Since this place has been in business for twenty years and had a banner proclaiming "Best in Cleveland 2009 and 2010", I figured at the very least would be good, possibly even great pizza.

The takeout only location I went to on Lorain had quite a few people inside picking up their orders (they also have a location on Detroit and one on Pearl). I was in and out in short order. Service was fast and friendly.

In a matter of minutes I had the box open and was ready to grub. At first sight the pie looked very good. They didn't chintz on the cheese, pepperoni, or the sausage. The crust looked like it was perfectly cooked, maybe even a little overdone. For me, I would rather it be slightly overdone rather than underdone. Nothing sucks worse than underdone doughy pizza.

The Pie

So I take the first bite and......and..............and............it had absolutely no flavor. I thought maybe it was just me, but by the second piece it was quite obvious that for whatever reason the pepperoni and sausage were positively bland. Unfortunately the cheese was not even up to the task of saving the day. Sure it tasted fine, but it had a strange mouth feel to it.

Would I recommend Nunzio's? Stone cold sober? No. If, however, you have consumed a large amount of alcohol, there is a very real possibility that you will blame the lack of flavor on drunkeness. The staff is fast and friendly. The place is very clean. I just don't think it's very good. A switch to more flavorful toppings would probably put Nunzio's in the good category.

Nunzio's Pizzeria
7020 Lorain Ave
Cleveland, OH 44102

(216) 631-4149

www.nunziospizza.net

Nunzio's Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. The best with Nunzio's are their Italian specialty pizzas like the Margherita and the Four Seasons. Never had a problem with Nunzio's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must not have any tastebuds cause that pizza is the best I have ever had. I was 10 when I started eating it. I'm 36 now till this day I love that pizza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nunzio's pizza is the BEST pizza I have ever tasted in my life!! I work in Rockford, Il and there's a Nunzio's only a few blocks away. It is the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete