Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Out and Around Cleveland

Make sure to check here for more Cleveland posts

The last two months have been an absolute ball buster in terms of travel. It's been pretty much one week home, one week gone. While it sounds fun in theory - especially with trips at or near New Haven, CT, NYC, and Boston - it is a bit of a drag since you're alone. That being said, I have been in Cleveland long enough to try some pretty good food.

No, that ain't sugar

I don't live on the west side so I don't typically get to Blackbird Bakery very often. If you haven't been there I would recommend dropping in and trying some of what they're serving up. Unlike On the Rise in Cleveland Heights, Blackbird has a fairly large seating area for enjoying coffee and bakery (and waiting in line). The one thing I always have to buy when I go is their chocolate chip cookies. I know they're not the first bakery to think of this (I haven't seen others in Cleveland doing it), but they lightly sprinkle some kosher salt on the bottom of the cookies. More likely, I think they just sprinkle the salt on the sheet and then set the dough on top of it. I guess how they do it doesn't really matter - these damn things are good.

Blackbird Baking Company
1391 Sloane Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107
(216) 712-6599
www.blackbirdbaking.com

Blackbird Baking Company on Urbanspoon

We finally stopped at Grotto Wine Bar in Shaker Square after driving past it...oh...fifty times. While I wasn't all that thrilled about my short rib with mushroom risotto, I thought Regina's Duck with blackberry frangelico glaze, goat cheese & candied walnuts was exceptional. It is a wine bar. There isn't much of a beer selection, but I will definitely go back.

Grotto Wine Bar

13101 Shaker Square
Cleveland, OH 44120
(216) 751-9463
www.grottoshakersquare.com

Grotto Wine Bar on Urbanspoon

Lastly, I have to include a plug for Humble Pie Baking Company. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much for pie. Give me a southern style cobbler with a pie crust topping and I'm happy as a clam. I say this not because I consider Diane Sikorski a friend, but because I really think her pies are very good. These pies have a very clean and light taste to them that doesn't sit in the pit of your stomach. You can go here to here on Facebook to "like" Humble Pie's profile and find out where she'll be serving up these suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment