Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Right now we're trying to put together the menu for the Thanksgiving feast we will host in a few weeks. This year we're trying to take a less traditional route.

One of my quests is to try some nontraditional desserts using some of the more typical Thanksgiving dessert ingredients. The now defunct Gourmet magazine provided the template for a Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle.

There's really only three components to it: Pumpkin mousse, Whipped Cream, and Gingerbread.

I chose to use Gourmet's recipe for the mousse and whipped cream. The recipe for that can found here.

For the Gingerbread I chose to not use the recipe from the Nov '09 Gourmet, but a Gourmet from 2000. This Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread is moist as hell. You can actually see some of the stickiness hitting the side of the glass in the picture above. If you take anything from this post, it's to try this recipe, this is one for the arsenal. I made this on Saturday and had a slew of the cubes left over and these were still as moist on Wednesday as the day I made them on Saturday. Instead of putting this in a bundt cake pan I made it in a 13x9 pan for 50 minutes.

Topping it off are some candied pepitas. These didn't really turn out as good as I would have liked. I'll be trying some other things to top this off.

I think I'm definitely on the right track with this one. If I can iron out the topping I think we'll have one of our Thanksgiving desserts.

3 comments:

  1. What about topping it off with crystallized ginger? It would also tie in with the flavor of the gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few crumbled amaretti cookies might be a good topping! Or some praline pecans? I'm thinking about doing this trifle for Thanksgiving, too, and appreciate your recommendation on the gingerbread. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree crystallized ginger would be great or even candied pecans on top. I have a recipe for those on my blog if you just go to labels. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try the combination of your version.

    ReplyDelete