Monday, March 9, 2009

Mi's Italian Bistro

Make sure to check here for more Hawai'i posts!

We went to Mi's Italian Bistro, a small local Italian restuarant, at the recommendation of our B & B owners, Michael and Greg. Normally Italian wouldn't be our first choice when dining out, but we were glad to make an exception for something that came so highly recommended.

Mi's is a small restaurant, run by a local couple (Chef/owner Morgan Starr, and his wife, Ingrid Chan). They make their own pasta and work hard to create dishes that utilize fresh, local ingredients. I did a little research and discovered Morgan was a sous chef at the Four Seasons Hualalai (a very exclusive resort on the Big Island) and his younger brother Colin, assists with preparing the desserts (my favorite course of the meal).

At first we were seated at a table in the middle of the restaurant. Unfortunately for those two middle tables, the bright lighting from the kitchen bleeds into the dining room. They were more than happy to move us when we mentioned the lighting problem.

Our starter and entrees were recommendations of our hostess. We began with the Green and Beat Salad. This is a great dish to share, unless of course you want to hoard of the candied macadamia nuts for yourself.

For entrees, I had the Seafood Fettucine and Cal had the Herb and Cheese Stuffed Ravioli. My dish was creamy but light (i.e. not drenched in sauce). I actually don't eat a lot of pasta, but I made an exception this time. Plus, I was pleased to find a lot of extras amongst the pasta that filled me up (snap peas, shrimp, scallops, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and onions). Cal loved the toothy homemade pasta.

Dessert was the Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache for Cal and the Banana Rum Flambe with Vanilla Macademia Nut Caramel Sauce, Tropical Dreams Ice Cream atop Banana bread. I was bummed that they didn't have any whipped cream (what can I say, I'm addicted) to go with it, but I quickly forgot about it with the first bite. The marriage of the sweet bananas and caramel sauce, smooth ice cream and dense, almost cake like banana bread was perfection. The addition of macademia nuts to the Caramel sauce took it over the top...needless to say, I allowed Cal one taste and then I refused to share.

I was impressed with the fact that everyone pitches in to help serve patrons...on more than one occasion, Morgan or one of his assistants, would bring dishes to the tables as soon as they were ready...a nice touch that shows they go the extra mile.

My only disappointment here is that I don't have more photos from our meal. The lighting was a little too dim to use a camera without the flash (hence the one blurry picture that we do have).

Mi's Italian Bistro
81-6372 Mamalahoa Hwy 103
Kealakekua, HI 96750
(808) 323-3880


Mi's Italian Bistro on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I just went there and they have improved if you can improve on culinary genius which is what I consider Executive Chef Morgan Starr to be. The Choppino was the best I have ever eaten with huge scallops, prawns and blue crab! And the desserts was the best with each of us ordering something different to allow only one bite as a taste to each other. I had the Pineapple sorbet so wonderfully refreshing, Meyers lemon creme brulee, and my daughter had the banana bread with Vanilla dreams ice cream and the caramel with rum sauce and mac nuts. Oh my I am on my way back there this week to take my sister for her birthday Plus they had mobile coupons for buy one entree and get 50% off the second by just texting the word WineCheeseLover to 71441 and becoming a Wine VIP Club Member as they also own a Wine and Cheese Shoppe where you can buy a bottle of wine and bring it to the bistro and no corkage fee! Wonderful wonderful food and service. http://www.miswineandcheeseshoppe.com and their mobile website is http://m.miswineandcheeseshoppe.com

    ReplyDelete