Monday, March 2, 2009

Big Jake's Island BBQ

Make sure to check here for more Hawai'i posts!

I had heard good things about Big Jake’s Island BBQ, in Captain Cook. Being a huge fan of barbeque, I knew this was where I was going to be having lunch. Regina was less than thrilled to hear my choice. It’s a little heavier than she likes to eat for lunch.

As we pulled up Jake (I’m assuming it was Jake) had a massive super-charged truck parked out front. Hooked up to the back of his rig was a huge smoker. Before I even pulled in I could tell this was going to be a good lunch.

We walked up to the window and I knew what I was going to get the ribs. Ribs are pretty much the measuring stick for most barbeque places. Sticking to one thing helps me pit one against the other. I ordered the half a slab dinner with baked beans and cole slaw. The guy that took my order was big, and had a loud New England accent (I’m guessing New Hampshire or Massachusetts).

Big Jake’s is actually connected to a convenience store. Located out front are picnic tables under a big awning. As we waited for our order I was impressed with the lack of fly problem that usually comes with the outdoor barbeque dining experience.

After a short time the order was ready. I take one bite of the ribs and it’s pretty obvious that these things had been cooking at a pretty low temperature for quite a while. Truth be told, you could have been missing every tooth in your head and eaten these things. They were fall off the bone good.

On the down side, it’s pretty obvious that the sides were straight off the truck. They weren’t bad, they weren’t great. They were just your standard fare.The other thing I noticed is that it was served with white rice. I completely understand why the rice is there, but it was a first for me.

All things considered, I’d go there again. If you happen to be this far south, by all means, drop by. I can’t say that I’d come all the way down from the resorts just to eat here. But if you’re in the neighborhood, it’s definitely worth a look.

Big Jake's Island B-B-Q
83-5308 Mamalahoa Hwy Ste B
Captain Cook, HI 96704
(808) 328-1227

Big Jake's Island B-B-Q on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment