Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Great Pumpkin

The Great Pumpkin Sundae

I broke tradition last week when I traveled to Philadelphia and ate dessert at the BEST ice cream shop in the United States, the Franklin Fountain. You see, I'm addicted to their Maple Walnut ice cream waffle sandwich (topped with whipped cream, of course). I get it every time I go there. However, when we visited this past summer, the manager told us about their "Great Pumpkin Sundae." He described it as Pumpkin ice cream, salted pecans, caramel sauce, whipped cream and malt powder and it was only available in the Fall. He made it sound so good that for a brief moment I wished that I was transported from 90 degree, sweltering Philly weather into the crisp, chilled autumn air just so I could have that sundae.

Well, I was lucky enough to get to The Franklin Fountain this October and I had to try the Great Pumpkin Sundae. In a word, fantastic! When I returned home I immediately went to work on re-creating their masterpiece...I'm still toying with finding the best Pumpkin Pie ice cream recipe. While there, I did snag a jar of their Caramel Sauce (along with 3 jars of Peanut Butter sauce for use on other sundaes). I made my own salted pecans and whipped cream (absent from this photo)and topped it off with the malt powder. This combo is great and tops plain old pumpkin pie any day. Thank you Franklin Fountain for spoiling me!



No comments:

Post a Comment