Thursday, March 5, 2009

Huli Sue's

Make sure to check here for more Hawai'i posts!

When one thinks of Hawaii they usually think of palm trees lazily swaying in an ocean zephyr as waves come home to the white sandy beach. Of course The Big Island certainly has that. But what if I told you there was a town on the island where the belt buckles are big, and the pickup trucks are even bigger. Where the Big D meets the Big I. Where the beach boys aren’t, but cowboys are. Would you believe me?

Welcome to Waimea. Not where they hold big wave surfing contests, but where cattle is king.

We drove through here last year on our way from Hilo to Kona. It’s a place that certainly warrants a visit if you’re able to make it to The Big Island. We spent the day here and were told that we just had to stop at Huli Sue’s.

Huli Sue’s is located in the Fukushima Store on Mamalahoa Highway as you’re headed out of town. Let me start by saying that you definitely want to go there on an empty stomach. Decorated with rough hewn timber and a ranch motif and the enamel coated metal dishes, Huli Sue’s takes you to another place.

Since Regina doesn’t like to eat a lot at lunch she ordered the black bean chili. The portion, as you can see, is huge. She said that it was good, but heavier and much more food than she likes to eat in the middle of the day.

I had to have the Pork Sandwich with Fries and Cole Slaw. *As I right this my mouth is seriously starting to water, honest to God.* I ordered the bolder of the BBQ sauces and it was absolutely awesome; a perfect tanginess to it, but not too tomatoey. I thought the chunks of pork were definitely reminiscent of Texas. There was no ground meat here. The fries were very unique in that the salt was stuck to the fries, like you would find on a hot pretzel. I don’t know how they did it, but these things were incredible.

We came up here to go to Merriman’s and visit the Parker Ranch. Huli Sue’s Barbecue and Grill was an afterthought. If you can’t tell from the tone of the review, this is a Waimea must see (so are Merriman’s and the Parker Ranch). Come on an empty stomach and schedule dinner for no earlier than 7 or you’ll still be full. Huli Sue’s is a winner.

Huli Sue's BBQ and Grill
64-957 Mamalahoa Hwy
Kamuela, HI 96743
(808) 885-6468

Huli Sue's BBQ and Grill on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. hey! thanks for the awesome review. we work hard on the food and it makes us so happy when some gets what we are trying to do!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    You guys have to get that website sorted out. I tried to describe it the best I could, but there's nothing more reassuring about making dining choices on a rock thousands of miles away when you can take a gander at the menu.

    If there is a place that sums up the character of Waimea, this is it. I thought your restuarant was skillfully put together. The food was very thoughtful and unique. I enjoyed everything right down to the dishes.

    You have to email me and tell me how you do those fries. I have never seen that before. They were delicious.

    Thanks for a wonderful lunch!

    -Cal

    ReplyDelete