Friday, December 5, 2008

The Baricelli Inn

Make sure to check here for more Cleveland posts

The Baricelli Inn is someplace I’ve wanted to go ever since we moved back to Cleveland. It’s been cited in a number of magazines and always ranks high amongst the other local eateries in town.

Baricelli breaks from tradition in the month of December, offering a lunch menu. Since it isn’t a cheap place I often like to test drive a restaurant at lunch time to see just what I can expect at dinner.

The first thing that really hit me was that it was very quiet. Even though there was music playing over the sound system I could hear every word the people were saying in front of and behind me. I’m not saying this was bad or good – just an observation. If I had one gripe it’s that the upholstery on the chairs seemed a little 1980’s, not that they are from the 1980’s they just looked like it.

We sit down and decide we’re just going to get an entrée and dessert. Since I had made a fairly rich dessert for that night’s dinner, I didn’t think it made much sense to gorge myself at lunch.

I ordered the Beef Short Ribs with Mashed Potatoes and Saba (which I forgot to ask what it is). There were haricot verts and a brown reduction on the plate. I’m assuming saba was the sauce. The short ribs were tender, the potatoes and green beans were good. At $18, I felt that I got what I paid for.

Mrs. Dine O Mite ordered the Crab Roll with Avocado Crème Fraîche on Focaccia served with a Roasted Vegetable Penne Pasta Salad. She liked the light and creamy crab salad. Since she isn’t much for pasta, I was nice enough to eat it for her. Weighing in at $14 she, too, thought it was a fair price.

Dessert was an awesome way to end our lunch. The Chocolate Praline Gateau Torte was worth the price of admission. This is a definite candidate for my “Favorite Cleveland Dessert” category. This is a delectable stratification of chocolate cake, praline crunch, chocolate topped with chocolate ganache. This is a must try dessert.

I enjoyed my visit to Baricelli. Would I go for dinner? It’s a little too quiet for me. I think it’s a lot like Chez Francoise or Red, great food but is more of a special occasion kind of place.

Baricelli Inn
2203 Cornell Rd
Cleveland, OH 44106
(216) 791-6500
www.baricelli.com

Baricelli Inn on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment