Sunday, June 1, 2008

Dinner at Parallax

Make sure to check here for more Cleveland posts

The in-laws made it back from Florida last week and let my wife pick where she wanted to go for her birthday. After mulling her options she settled on Parallax. Zach Bruell's place is typically the restaurant du jour when my boss (Paul) comes to town. Now that I think of it, it's the only Cleveland eatery we've ever gone to with him. He absolutely loves the walleye. This is the first time in a long time that we've actually gone there without him.

All together there were five of us, so I was really looking forward to seeing a wide range of appetizers and entrees. If I were to choose any starter from the menu it would be the Spider Roll. That's some serious goodness. We got one of those, a Fresh California Roll, the Japanese Shrimp, and ..... Calamari Fritti.

We took some pictures but there was some a lot of sun coming through the front window. Three hundred other days out of the year we wouldn't have had that problem, but today we did.

Spider Roll - Tempura Soft shell crab, Avocado, cucumber, baby lettuce and smelt roe. I could eat two orders of these and be well satisfied. One of my favorites.

Fresh Crab California Roll - Snow crab, Avocado and smelt roe. I think are also quite good, but not as good as the Spider Roll. (These are on the same plate).



Japanese Shrimp My brother-in-law ordered these monsters. I had one but the stuff that's wound around the outside is a bit much for me. All in all, this was probably my least favorite, but they looked cool.


Calamari Fritti - (not pictured. Aren't you crushed?) These were decent. I wasn't really to excited about the sauces it came with, but the were okay.
Every time I've come here in the past I've typically ordered from a wide variety of fish dishes on the menu. People have commented that the Grilled Chicken Breast is a signature dish. My Mother-in-law and I ordered that. I can say first hand that mine was really good. The chicken had a beurre blanc sauce that really made the dish. I highly recommend the chicken breast! The pommes frites that came with it were also the way I like them, thinly cut. Good stuff.
The others either got Soft Shell Crab (which was on special or the Grilled Hanger Steak.
Judging by the reaction from everyone else I think they were just plus/minus on the Soft Shell Crab and the Hanger Steak. They finished their food but I don't think they were blown away.

I would also recommend the Baricelli Cheese Plate for dessert. Actually, the cheese plate is appropriate for two people to share as I was laboring to finish it. The others had an assortment of ice cream and chocolate cakes.

I would say this is probably my favorite Tremont restaurant, My in-laws are partial to Fahrenheit. While I, too, like Fahrenheit I think Parallax gives you more bang for your buck.


Parallax on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment