Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Mini NYC Macaron Crawl

I was faced with a tough task. How many macarons could I consume and critique in a roughly 48 hour period in the city of New York? Knowing that I had other delicacies on my radar, such as multiple trips to Taim for falafel [easily the best I've ever had], I knew that I had to be strategic in my mac eating approach. Luckily, I had already hit a few spots like Ceci Cela, La Maison du Macaron (aka Madeleine Pattiserie), and Kee’s Chocolates on past trips, so I was in a sense, starting out ahead of the curve. Below are the highlights of my mission: there were some definite favorites and one spot so good that it deserved a repeat visit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dessert Truck Works
6 Clinton Street
New York, NY 10002

(212) 228-0701

www.dt-works.net

Dessert Truck Works on Urbanspoon





Cost: $2.00 each; on the larger size

Highlights:

Salted Caramel, Praline, S’mores (with a marshmallow on top and tucked inside) and the Banana flavored, banana shaped macarons. So cute, you can’t help but like them. Next time, I’m going to do some better advance planning and take one of the popular hands-on macaron classes they offer right in the store.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mille-feuile Bakery and Cafe
552 Laguardia Pl
New York, NY 10012
(212) 533-4698
www.millefeuille-nyc.com

Mille-feuile Bakery and Cafe on Urbanspoon

Cost: $1.90 each; generously sized – a steal

I found this on a total lark...cutting through the streets from our hotel to the Big Apple Barbeque Block Party in Madison Square Park. I duly noted the macs in the window and did some internet research upon return to my hotel. Initially, I was torn between this spot and François Payard, but after reading this article and learning that this bakery was being run by a pastry chef that trained under macaron extraordinaire, Pierre Hermé, I knew I had to try it.

Edit: Olivier sent this very interesting clarification:

Many thanks for this post ! I very glad you appreciated our best of breed Paris macarons. I wanted to add a comment regarding my work at Pierre Hermé shop.

It's very ironic because you don't learn to make macarons in his shop but all others desserts ... actually P. Hermé has his own macaron factory in East of France where they are made mostly by machines then shipped to all Europe. If you want to make P. Hermé macaron style, which I believe his one of the best, then you have to figure this out by yourself. That was for me a real challenge for a while .... !

Many thanks again and I hope to see you soon at the shop and taste new flavors in a week ("caramel beurre salé" would be the next).



Highlights:

Everything. I’ve never eaten a macaron from France, but I can only imagine that they must taste like these. Light, but still dense…not too sweet and the perfect amount of filling. The first bite was almost like biting into a cloud…they were like no other mac I’ve had before. Hubby and I were blown away. They were so good that we each secretly went back the next day and hoarded some for ourselves. Flavors we loved: Passion Fruit, Chocolate, Espresso, Coconut, Pistachio and a Triple Vanilla that tastes just like vanilla ice cream in a cake cone. While in the shop we learned that they were recently featured in the New York Times (and rightfully so). I hope and pray that they will someday offer macaron classes…I’d jump at the chance to learn from this master.


Bonus: When you order a coffee here, they serve it with a little piece of a brownie on top of the “to go” lid. Coffee + Brownie bite = brilliant!

*How new is it? We had to add it to Urbanspoon!

Sorry guys, Dineomite here. I know this is my wife's post but I don't think she's hyped this enough. If you are in the city and you enjoy good desserts YOU...MUST...GO...HERE. Far and away the closest thing I have seen to macaron perfection. Olivier Dessyn is the real deal and if you've passed up Mille-feuile...well...the only person you've screwed is yourself. The prices here are enough to make your jaw drop when you consider the level of execution. I know the next time I come here, there will be a line out the door. This is an absolute gem of bakery not to be missed. Go ahead, fight the crowds at Baltazar. I'll be at Mille-feuile. Now back to your regular programming......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bosie Tea Parlor

10 Morton Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 352-9900

Bosie Tea Parlor on Urbanspoon


Cost: $2 each, relatively small for the price

Tucked off of Bleecker Street in the West Village, this is a tea shop that happens to make macarons. I’m not much of a tea drinker, no naturally I was not really drawn to their tea flavored fillings, such as Darjeerling. I did however gravitate to the old standard, Pistachio, Lemon and Peanut Butter and Jelly. Unfortunately, the Lemon was a bit stale. However, the Peanut Butter and Jelly was awesome…peanut butter butter cream with a bit of jelly tucked inside. Genius.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bisous Ciao
101 Stanton Street
New York, NY 10002
(212) 260-3463
www.bisousciao.com

Bisous Ciao on Urbanspoon



This was the top place on my list after reading so many positive posts. It looks sleek, like a mini version of Paulette in San Francisco. The person helping me accidentally cracked one of the macs while picking it up, so I got it for free: Bonus! Surprisingly, the Pistachio had an off flavor, not at all what I’m used to. However, the Mango Coconut, Lemon, Espresso and Dark Chocolate made up for it.

Looking for more stuff in New York City? Check this link for our NYC Google Map.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, this is Olivier the chef at Mille-Feuille bakery café.

    Many thanks for this post ! I very glad you appreciated our best of breed Paris macarons. I wanted to add a comment regarding my work at Pierre Hermé shop.

    It's very ironic because you don't learn to make macarons in his shop but all others desserts ... actually P. Hermé has his own macaron factory in East of France where they are made mostly by machines then shipped to all Europe. If you want to make P. Hermé macaron style, which I believe his one of the best, then you have to figure this out by yourself. That was for me a real challenge for a while ... !

    Many thanks again and I hope to see you soon at the shop and taste new flavors in a week ("caramel beurre salé" would be the next).

    See you guys, Olivier

    ReplyDelete