Saturday, April 16, 2011

Chowhound Wack Job


Chowhound
I'm a huge fan of Chowhound, but sometimes people can really come up with some interesting threads (and I don't mean in a good way). Take this one entitled: Vacuum Food Sealers. The only reason I clicked on it is because I'm actually in the market for one, but not for the reasons this lady is.

From what I can gather, this woman is afraid that solar flares in 2012 are going to somehow interrupt the food supply chain and wants to be able to freeze food for possibly years. A vacuum food sealer would go a long way to get all of that air out of the package before she puts her pork chops into their long, long slumber. Excuse me, but isn't one of the biggest fears from these flares a possible loss in power? I'm guessing she's also doing her research on $100,000 solar arrays to run the gigundous freezers she'll need to hold her multi-year, vacuum sealed, food stash.

I, too, am afraid of an event in 2012, but it's not going to occur until the first Tuesday in November.......


BTW, if any of you guys have any recommendations let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I have a foodsaver. It's okay. After about three years of alternating between barely being used for a long time and pretty short supurts of heavy usage, it's about crapping out. I've used the fancy kind that folks use for sous vide and they're awesome if you can swing it--possibly used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd love to get one of the high fallootin' ones but for what I'm using it for, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll probably end up combing the internet for something on the lower end. I've actually used one of those ZipLoc hand pumps with pretty good results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know. I've been considering downgrading.

    ReplyDelete