Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Boulevard Blue

Make sure to check here for more Cleveland posts



Boulevard Blue has been a favorite of ours since we came back to Cleveland. Over the last couple of years we’ve eaten there probably ten times. For us that’s a lot. Even though we go out to eat frequently we do enjoy spreading the love.

For the last few months we had suspected that something was going on because management was basically offering the second entrée for 50 percent off. So when we heard that Kurt Steeber had taken over the restaurant just a few days before our visit, it all added up.

As we opened the menu we noticed that some of the menu had changed, but most of the old menu was still intact.

In the unofficial Dine O Mite calamari taste test, Boulevard Blue and Paladar have the best calamari. We did notice, however, that this time it was a little different. The waitress informed us that the calamari is now sautéed instead of deep fried. I think I liked the deep fried calamari better. They were crispier and more consistently cooked.

My entrée was the Chicken Thai Pasta. It was the first time I’d ever had it, but it was very large and full of flavor. However, I think it might be a victim to the new menu. If it’s still on there I’d highly recommend ordering it.

Regina order the halibut cheeks with artichokes, fennel, baby carrots, purple Peruvian potatoes, garlic confit, with white wine broth. This was one of the new menu items. Her issue was that the dish was a bit bland for her liking.

For dessert I ordered the Caramel Apple Cheesecake with spiced almond crust, Ohio apples, dulce de leche. This was actually a pretty tasty dessert. Regina also enjoyed the Devil which was a chocolate center, chocolate mousse, and vanilla gelato. Typically, the desserts here were not much to write home about. The ones we had this time were both winners.

So what did we think of the partially new Boulevard Blue? If I had to give it a grade my visit it would probably be an “I” for incomplete. Steeber had only been there literally for a few days. A couple of summers ago we had eaten at Balantine while he was still there. I thought their food was decent. I’ll be interested to see what it’s like when we go back to Boulevard Blue in a few months. By then, I think we’ll be able to get a better gauge of where they’re headed.

Boulevard Blue
12718 Larchmere Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44120
www.boulevardblue.com

Boulevard Blue on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment