Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mitchell's - My local dessert spot

By Mrs. Dine O Mite

My first trip to Mitchell’s Homemade Ice Cream didn’t win me over. I had some flavor of frozen yogurt. That was my mistake. Several months later, I found myself jonesin’ for a hot fudge sundae, only to find that I was no where close to my favorite low fat indulgence, Dairy Queen. I was in Rocky River and happened upon a Mitchell’s. I ordered a vanilla hot fudge sundae with pecans and whipped cream. As the sales girl began to ring up my order, I said “Um, I wanted whipped cream”…she replied, that is whipped cream, pointing to the top of my sundae. As I looked closer, I noticed it was indeed whipped cream, so thick that it literally looked like a scoop of ice cream. Sold.

While I do not consider Mitchell’s to be the best ice cream I’ve ever had (it’s no Franklin Fountain in Philadelphia or Bi Rite Creamery in San Francisco), it is some of the best in the Cleveland area. The positives are that it’s a locally owned organization, their founders are alumni of the famed Penn State Creamery Ice Cream short course, they offer junior scoops of ice cream (to save me from myself), their pecans are buttery and salty, a fantastic combo, and of course, their ultra thick whipped cream.

However, what keeps them from the top of my list is their lack of creativity. Sure, they have a few seasonal flavor additions to the menu every month, but that’s it. Just a few monthly specials and they are by no means “outside of the box” combinations (think Thai Chile or Burnt Sugar ice cream). Their ice cream menu is essentially static. The originality of places like Capogiro Gelato in Philadelphia or Jeni’s Ice Cream in Columbus is what keeps people coming in and coming back…they always want to know what you’re up to.

Unfortunately, I do not see Mitchell’s changing their approach because I think what they’re doing is working for them. They are a reliable local choice for me to get my sundae fix, so I can’t complain about that. I guess I’ll just need to take full advantage of any opportunities for eating great ice cream when I’m out of town. Plus, I suppose I could take what they’re missing and use it as inspiration for creating what I want…Santa, I’ve been good this year. Do you think you could hook me up with an ice cream maker this Christmas?

Mitchell's Homemade Ice Cream
2101 Richmond Rd
Cleveland, OH 44122
(216) 831-2722
http://mitchellshomemade.com/index.html

Mitchell's Ice Cream Laplace on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment