Monday, October 27, 2008

Fridgid Temps Thawed by Fahrenheit

Tonight we braved the flying slush and met my mother-in-law and brothers-in-law at Fahrenheit for dinner (yeah, we just ate with them yesterday). We hadn't been there since last winter. The last time we were there I was struck by the smallish size of the entrees. I don't know if it was reality or just a case of bad memory, but I was interested to see what tonight's dinner would hold.

We had just came in from the freezing monsoon outside and were starved. After a short deliberation we decided on the 12" Pizza with Serrano Ham, Fig Chutney, Melted Brie and Leeks. I thought it was a little undercooked, otherwise it was okay. I don't know what it is, but sometimes we order something that is absolutely epic and end up judging everything from that day on against it. We had an unbelievable fig pizza in San Francisco at NOPA, so now we end up disappointed when we order anything close to it. I might be done with fig pizzas all together.

What about entrees? I ordered the Butternut Squash Ravioli, Brown Butter, Parmesan Cheese, Fried Basil. The ravioli was perfectly cooked. The squash filling was nice and soft . While I was really intrigued by the fried basil I couldn't really taste it. The verdict is thumbs up. Mrs. Dine O Mite opted for the famous Kobe Beef Short Ribs, Teriyaki Lo-Mein, Asian Vegetables, Ginger Soy Reduction. This dish belongs in the pantheon of Cleveland restaurant entrees. They're right there with Lola's beef cheek pierogies, and Parallax's chicken. Whenever you see short ribs on a menu they are typically sitting on top of potatoes. Not here. Lo-Mein noodles kick this dish upstairs into the aforementioned pantheon. For whatever reason the ginger soy reduction sticks to these noodles so well that there's as much flavor in these as there in short ribs. Awesome dish, and big too. A very healthy portion.

For dessert I had the Apple Cranberry Crostada with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. It had a soft outer edge to it, and a crumbly topping. Highly recommended. She had the Pumpkin Cheesecake. It was okay. It tasted more like a mini pumpkin pie without the crust. It wasn't bad, but not nearly as good as the crostada.

Overall it was a very pleasant dinner. Aside from the pizza, which I thought was the only miss all night, the food was great. I can say that the portions were NOT on the smallish side. In fact, had I gotten the short ribs I probably would have taken half home. It had been too long since my last visit, and can say that it won't be as long between now and my next visit.


Fahrenheit
2417 Professor Ave
Cleveland, OH 44113
(216) 781-8858
www.fahrenheittremont.com

Fahrenheit on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment