Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Exceptional Pizza in a Vast Pizza Wasteland


There are few things in life that insite feelings of nostalgia more than Ohio State's campus. It always amazes me when I see all of the changes that have taken place since my last visit. While the campus might change quite a bit, it's High Street's business landscape that takes the word visceral to a whole new level. Stores and restaurants come and go in a span of months. The only independent mainstays still standing are Buckeye Donuts, Bernie's bagels, and my favorite Flying Pizza.

I've often wondered,"Why does this place have staying power and the others simply fail?" I think the answer is pretty simple really. I think the requisite elements for college students is cheap, quick, and convenient. If you'll notice I didn't mention anything about taste. This was college and I was broke as a joke.

Flying Pizza has the fourth dimension the others don't...deliciousness. What? I can buy it by the slice at $2 a pop? I get it 3 minutes after I order it? It's centrally located on High Street AND it tastes awesome? No way!

Flying Pizza classifies itself as New York style. I would say it's more like a modified New York Style just because it looks like a NYS but the slice is not thin enough to fold over. I feel that this is what makes it so tasty because it is so crispy underneath the cheese. I would say the crust is definitely NYS. Even though Columbus, Ohio is an absolute wasteland for pizza, think Donato's. Columbus is a thin crust hell. I will say that Youngstown based Belleria opened a couole of outposts 3 or 4 years ago.

Flying Pizza on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment